The Magic of Tori Amos

 So, last night, I got to see Tori Amos (my first live concert back since the pandemic…I think…). Now, Tori always brings such light and inspiration, but what was so special was seeing her joy for live performing knowing how much she’s missed it. Being a performer myself, it was so humanizing to see that one of my idols was feeling the same way I was about the loss of performing and now having it back. 

Not only, could you see the joy, but there was also this renewed sense of fire you can only get when something you love and treasure so deeply is taken from you and given back. There was even a wonderful moment where she got tangled in the mic chords and yelled “I’m stuck!” Every performer knows mishaps are bound to happen, and to see her take such joy even in that was so unbelievably refreshing. 

Also she performed with a band for the first time in over a decade I believe. The sheer joy of watching live musicians connect and create on stage, there’s just nothing else like it on earth. Add to that the magic of lights, sound, costume, and makeup, it really brings everything to a truly transcendent level.

Another thing that made it magical was the communal experience of being there with a live audience. Live shows with audiences are one thing, but us Tori fans take it to a whole other level. Haha! Being able to connect with other people as a unit enjoying and being moved by the same force is unparalleled. 

I truly hope that people will not take for granted the power and necessity of live performing (for both the performers and the audience). That sense of connection is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced in life. Here’s hoping that music and art and theatre and all that will continue to be embraced and seen as something essential to living a full life with meaning (at least for me it is).

Comments

  1. I am going to see my first concert on June 1st. (First concert in over 3 years). Beyond excited!!!! Orville Peck here I come😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Me

Heartstopper